Certificate in Community Storytelling: In-Person Cohort
Apr 23, 2023 @ 3:00 pm - Apr 28, 2023 @ 1:00 pm PDT| $1390
In-Person Training Dates
APRIL 23-28, 2023
Subscribe to our newsletter for the first notice of upcoming Hearth events!
It’s community building, it’s networking, it’s spiritual growth. It’s one of the best programs I have ever done.
I learned my story matters which has given me confidence and bravery in my personal and professional life.
Not only will you become a better storyteller, you will learn how to use story as a great democratizing force within your community.
The Certificate in Community Storytelling provides practical tools that draw individuals and communities together in meaningful and healing ways.
Improve your storytelling skills while learning how to build and strengthen community within a transformative, collaborative, and supportive learning environment. The Certificate in Community Storytelling: In-Person Cohort is for anyone interested in learning how to use the power of personal storytelling to heal, enrich, and mobilize communities for good.
The training is a one-week long intensive April 23-28, 2023. The training involves lectures, narrative exercises, small group sharing, and group discussion. This year’s program will be held in a retreat-like setting on the edge of the Columbia Gorge just 30 minutes outside Portland, Oregon.
In addition to the week long intensive, participants will receive four months of online group teaching (90 minute gatherings once a month) and five months of personal story coaching (one personal phone call/zoom meeting a month). In order to receive certification, participants will be required to design and complete a community storytelling project with individual coaching and mentorship by Hearth facilitators. Participants will present their projects at a final zoom meeting in September 2023.
Individuals who complete the certification course will:
- Understand how stories function in our personal and public lives
- Learn how to create transformative events that deepen relationships within a local community or organization
- Explore narrative practices that promote individual growth, social awareness, and community action
- Learn how to create a variety of public story-sharing platforms that engender trust and vulnerability
- Gain concrete skills for community storytelling including story recruitment, event promotion, audience building, public participation, media integration, and fundraising
- Learn how to craft personal stories for speaking, teaching, and facilitation
- Increase skills for coaching groups and individuals in personal storytelling
- Discover methods for amplifying the voice of marginalized populations
- Learn how to apply storytelling techniques within families, friendships, and other informal gatherings
The Certificate in Community Storytelling is ideal for nonprofit staff, social entrepreneurs, government officials, educators, parents, ministers, therapists, journalists, artists, social justice activists, and anyone seeking to strengthen families, local communities, or charitable organizations. Registration is limited to thirty-five participants.
April 23-28, 2023: one week intensive
May – August: monthly zoom meetings and coaching
September: final zoom meeting w/presentations
Menucha Retreat and Conference Center (Corbett, Oregon). A 30 minute drive from Portland, Oregon.
- Sunday 3-5pm (check in)
- Monday – Thursday 9am-5pm
- Friday 9am-1pm (check out at 1pm)
Interim teaching and coaching: April-September
- Tuition Cost: $1390
- Deposit: $250
Lodging and Meals
Participants can opt for a single or double room at the The Menucha Retreat and Conference Center. Meals will start with dinner on Sunday, April 23rd and end with lunch on Friday, April 28th.
- Single room w/meals included: $860 ($600 for single room + $260 for meals)
- Double room w/meals included: $560 ($300 for double room + $260 for meals)
*If you choose a double room, please specify if you have someone else registering that you want to room with.*
*If you choose to commute to the training, please email email@example.com.*
Tuition is separate from lodging and meals.
Menucha Retreat and Conference Center
38711 E, Historic Columbia River Hwy, Corbett, OR 97019
Please visit this page for detailed directions.
Portland International Airport is closest to the retreat center.
We will organize a shuttle from PDX to Menucha in the early afternoon of Sunday, April 23rd and from Menucha to PDX at 1pm on Friday, April 28th.
- The Hearth is dedicated to creating a safe environment for our participants and staff as we return to in-person workshops and events. We will follow state guidelines and will amend our policies as the current situation changes and guidelines are updated.
- Payment, registration, and cancellation policies – please review before you register
- Media consent / opt-out form.
- To be placed on a wait list or find out about other training opportunities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Pay Your Balance:
If you are already registered and wish to make your final payment, please click on the link below to pay with PayPal or a credit card (checkout as Guest):