[For 2022, The Hearth will offer separate online and in-person training programs. Continue below for information on our in-person training held in Ashland, Oregon beginning April 6th, 2022 or click here for dates and information for our online program which begins April 19, 2022.]
Improve your storytelling skills while learning how to build and strengthen community within a transformative, collaborative, and supportive learning environment. The Certificate in Community Storytelling: In-Person Cohort is for anyone interested in learning how to use the power of personal storytelling to heal, enrich, and mobilize communities for good.
The program begins with a three-and-a-half-day intensive April 6-9, 2022 and closes with another three-and-a-half-day intensive September 28-October 1, 2022. Trainings involve lecture, narrative exercises, small group sharing, and group discussion. Each intensive will be held in a retreat-like setting in Ashland, Oregon.
Between the spring and fall intensives, participants seeking certification will gather monthly for online training, troubleshooting, and discussion. In order to receive certification, participants will be required to design and complete a community storytelling project with individual coaching and mentorship by Hearth facilitators. In addition to the two intensives, participants will receive five months of online group teaching (90 minute gatherings once a month) and five months of personal story coaching (one personal phone call/zoom meeting a month).
Individuals who complete the certification course will:
- Understand how stories function in our personal and public lives
- Learn how to create transformative events that deepen relationships within a local community or organization
- Explore narrative practices that promote individual growth, social awareness, and community action
- Learn how to create a variety of public story-sharing platforms that engender trust and vulnerability
- Gain concrete skills for community storytelling including story recruitment, event promotion, audience building, public participation, media integration, and fundraising
- Learn how to craft personal stories for speaking, teaching, and facilitation
- Increase skills for coaching groups and individuals in personal storytelling
- Discover methods for amplifying the voice of marginalized populations
- Learn how to apply storytelling techniques within families, friendships, and other informal gatherings
The Certificate in Community Storytelling is ideal for nonprofit staff, social entrepreneurs, government officials, educators, parents, ministers, therapists, journalists, artists, social justice activists, and anyone seeking to strengthen families, local communities, or charitable organizations. Registration is limited to thirty-five participants.
Opening intensive: April 6-9, 2022
- Wednesday 5-9pm
- Thursday 9am-5pm, 7-9pm
- Friday/Saturday 9am-5pm
Interim teaching and coaching: April-September
Closing intensive: September 28-October 1, 2022