Certificate in Community Storytelling: Fall 2020 through Spring 2021
Nov 8, 2020 - Apr 10, 2021| $1,290
It’s community building, it’s networking, it’s spiritual growth. It’s one of the best programs I have ever done.
I learned my story matters which has given me confidence and bravery in my personal and professional life.
Not only will you become a better storyteller, you will learn how to use story as a great democratizing force within your community.
The Certificate in Community Storytelling provides practical tools that draw individuals and communities together in meaningful and healing ways.
Improve your storytelling skills while learning how to build and strengthen community within a transformative, collaborative, and supportive learning environment. The Hearth offers training in the Certificate in Community Storytelling for anyone interested in learning how to use the power of personal storytelling to heal, enrich, and mobilize communities for good.
The full program begins with a three-and-a-half-day online intensive November 8-11, 2020 and closes with another three-and-a-half-day intensive April 7-10, 2021. The intensives will involve lecture, small group sharing, and group discussion. Online sessions will be two to two and a half hours, held twice each day with breaks and movement in between. There will be advance work to prepare: suggested reading lists, simple exercises, and video links will be provided. During the workshops, participants will be given supplemental reading and video links to support the online work, with approximately 1-2 hours of additional reading/viewing each day.
Between the spring and fall workshops, participants seeking certification will gather monthly for online training, troubleshooting, and discussion. These participants will have the opportunity to design and complete a community storytelling project with individual coaching and mentorship by Hearth founder Mark Yaconelli and will receive 5 months of online group teaching (90 minute gatherings once a month) and 5 months of personal story coaching (one personal phone call/zoom meeting a month).
Individuals who complete the certification course will:
- Understand how stories function in our personal and public lives
- Learn how to create transformative events that deepen relationships within a local community or organization
- Explore narrative practices that promote individual growth, social awareness, and community action
- Learn how to create a variety of public story-sharing platforms that engender trust and vulnerability
- Gain concrete skills for community storytelling including story recruitment, event promotion, audience building, public participation, media integration, and fundraising
- Learn how to craft personal stories for speaking, teaching, and facilitation
- Increase skills for coaching groups and individuals in personal storytelling
- Discover methods for amplifying the voice of marginalized populations
- Learn how to apply storytelling techniques within families, friendships, and other informal gatherings
The Certificate in Community Storytelling is ideal for nonprofit staff, social entrepreneurs, government officials, educators, parents, ministers, therapists, journalists, artists, social justice activists, and anyone seeking to strengthen families, local communities, or charitable organizations. Registration is limited to thirty-five participants. Continuing Education Units are available through a partnership with Southern Oregon University.
- Opening intensive: November 8-11, 2020
- Interim teaching and coaching: November-April
- Closing intensive: April 7-10, 2021
- Certificate early bird pricing (by October 1): $1,290
- Certificate regular pricing (after October 1): $1,490
- [Limited tuition assistance subsidies are available; please submit an application if you require tuition assistance.]
It is possible to register for the initial Community Storytelling Intensive ONLY (November 8-11). Those who choose this option will receive the foundational training in community storytelling but will not be eligible for certification.
- November 8-11, 2020 intensive training early bird pricing (by October 1): $695
- November 8-11, 2020 intensive training regular pricing (after October 1): $795
- Payment, registration, and cancellation policies – please review before you register
- Media consent / opt-out form.
- To be placed on a wait list, learn more about tuition assistance, or to find out about other training opportunities, please email email@example.com.