Personal storytelling is one of the most intimate forms of communication. Telling our story in community has the potential to bridge divides, cultivate trust, and inspire action by inviting those gathered to better understand what others have lived, suffered, and overcome. All human divisions could be healed if we would only take the time to listen to one another’s stories.
The Hearth offers an intensive certification program in community storytelling for those interested in the transformational power of stories. The Certificate in Community Storytelling offers a variety of experiential exercises, individual skill-building, practical teaching, online discussion groups, and written and online resources. Individuals who complete the certification course will:
- Understand how stories function in our personal and public lives.
- Learn how to create transformative events that deepen relationships within a local community or organization.
- Explore narrative practices that promote individual growth, social awareness, and community action.
- Learn how to create a variety of public story-sharing platforms that engender trust and vulnerability.
- Gain concrete skills for community storytelling including story recruitment, event promotion, audience building, public participation, media integration, and fundraising.
- Learn how to craft personal stories for speaking, teaching, and facilitation.
- Increase skills for coaching groups and individuals in personal storytelling.
- Discover methods for amplifying the voice of marginalized populations.
- Learn how to apply storytelling techniques within families, friendships, and other informal gatherings.
This year’s Certificate program is currently underway and concludes with a final intensive October 23-26.
In 2020, The Hearth is offering the Certificate Program as a 1 week concentrated intensive to be held April 19-24, with additional coaching available to extend learnings from the program as graduates test their skills and models in real world settings. For those participants who opt-in, six months of personalized online training, troubleshooting, and structured discussion with The Hearth founder, Mark Yaconelli, will be available from May through October 2020.
How To Register
On the registration page, click the REGISTER button to get started. Use your credit or debit card in a secure transaction via PayPal. You will receive an email confirmation of your registration and payment.
*** EARLY BIRD PRICING ***
Sign up today and save $200 on both programs with early bird pricing, available until December 15, 2019.
- $1,295 (intensive only – Regularly $1,495)
- $1,790 (intensive/coaching bundle – Regularly $1,990)
Payment may be made in full at the time of registration, or payment may be split into two parts with a $250 non-refundable deposit at the time of registration and balance payable no later than December 15, 2019.
The Hearth offers a week-long intensive Certificate in Community Storytelling for those interested in learning and applying the transformational power of stories in personal and professional settings. This specialized certification program will assist community and organizational leaders in learning a variety of skills, techniques, and processes for producing community storytelling programs and using stories to meet important objectives. The program will be held over an intensive, experiential five days April 19-24, 2020 in a retreat-like setting in Ashland, Oregon. For those participants who opt-in for additional coaching, six months of personalized online training, troubleshooting, and structured discussion with The Hearth founder, Mark Yaconelli, is available from May through October.
What is The Hearth?
The Hearth is a nonprofit organization that uses transformational storytelling to help communities and organizations deepen trust, celebrate individual courage, address social problems, and strengthen group identity and purpose.